Chicot County, Arkansas

Frequently Asked Questions

Why did my taxes go up if everything is the same from last year?

If the value and/or millage have increased since the prior year, the current tax bill will be higher.
(Tax is calculated by multiplying the value times the millage.)

Why did my property value increase?

Please contact the Assessor's Office. 870-265-8025

Why did my bill go up if I turned 65 last year and got a freeze on my taxes?

Amendment 79 puts a freeze on only the assessed value and not the millage. If the millage goes up, the tax bill will go up also.

Do I still owe taxes if I sold my home, divorced,or moved out of Chicot county?

A personal property tax bill is created form anything that is assessed between January 1- may 31 of the last calender year. If a couple was married and assessed together but divorced during the year, they are still responsible for the combined tax bill. Areal estate tax bill is created from the owner on record as of January 1. If a property was sold during the year, closing documents will explain the responsibility of the buyer and the seller concerning the tax bill

What is the improvement district fee?

When property owners would benefit from a local service or improvement, a charge ( the improvement district fee ) is added to the tax bill. Improvement district fees cannot be paid in installments and are collected in the current year.

Examples of such local services or improvements include:

  • Voluntary Ambulance Service: A rural ambulance service staffed by volunteer emergency medical personnel. The fee is not voluntary and must be collected with the personal property taxes
  • Fire Department dues: A rural fire department. Dues must be collected with real estate taxes.
  • Suburban & Municipal Improvement Districts: Improvement or construction of streets, sewer systems, off-street parking of vehicles, sidewalks, and recreational areas.

How do I apply for homestead credits?

Forms are available online or at the Assessor's Office.

What action do I take if my mortgage company is supposed to be paying my tax on my home?

If the tax bill has been sent directly to the mortgage company, check in 30-60 days to make sure your taxes has been paid. If the mortgage company was supposed to pay but did not, direct the mortgage company to call the Tax Collector's office at 870-265-8030

What is VA exemption?

In order to be exempt from taxes, a DAV form letter 20-5454 should have been on file in the Tax Collector's office on or before January 31st. To qualify for a VA exemption, call the VA office in Little Rock and request form 20-5454.

What is the collection procedure?

Personal property must be paid before Real Estate Taxes. Real Estate that is paid by a mortgage company does not have to be paid with Personal Property Tax. The Collector's office will not accept current payments before delinquent payment.

How are my property taxes spent?

Where can I get a list of the foreclosure sales?

All foreclosures sales are listed on the foreclosures page.

What is needed to bid at a commissioner’s sale?

If paying in full the day of the sale: a check in the full amount of the bid

If paying 10% down the day of the sale*:

  • A letter of credit from a loaning institution stating an adequate line of credit for the remaining 90% balance**
  • A bond to the court for the remaining 90% balance to be paid within a court-designated time period

* All sales not paid in full the day of the sale bear interest at the court-set rate (i.e., 10% per annum).
** This letter needs to be given to the Commissioner prior to the sale.

Can I pay with a personal check on commissioner sale?

Yes.  However, the Commissioner reserves the right to request a cashier’s check for payment.

Where do I pick up the paperwork to file for a divorce?

The Chicot County Circuit Clerk’s Office does not provide forms to file for divorce.

The Office of the Circuit Clerk is prohibited by law from giving legal advice.

A site that does offer help is: One Source for Divorce - Arkansas

Where do I file my notary information?

Notary information is filed in the Recorder's Office, located at 215 East Central Avenue, room 202. For more information on becoming a Notary Public, see the Arkansas Secretary of State web site.

How do I get a passport?

Passport applications are located in the Recorder's Office, located at 215 East Central Avenue, room 202.

See the fee schedule for information on cost and what to bring when you apply for a passport. You may also wish to visit the Passport Services Office for further details and a copy of the passport application.

If you need a copy of your birth certificate for your passport application and were born in Arkansas, contact the Arkansas Division of Vital Records. If you were born in another state, contact the government offices for the county or state in which you were born.

Can I get a copy of my marriage license?

Marriage licenses are located in the County Clerk's Office, located at 215 East Central Avenue, room 217. Call 479-271-1013 for additional information.

Can I get a copy of my birth certificate?

Birth certificates are kept at the Bureau of Vital Records in Little Rock.  For births outside Arkansas, contact the government offices of the state of birth.

Where do I get a power of attorney (POA)? 

POAs are generally prepared by an attorney. Once issued, it needs to be filed in the Recorder's Office, located at 215 East Central Avenue, room 202.

What’s the contact information for the District Courts?

Websites & phone numbers for the Arkansas State court system as well as Benton County District Courts can be found on the links page.

How do I pay my ticket or change my court date for a misdemeanor? 

Contact the appropriate District Court for misdemeanors. This information may be found on the issued ticket.

Note: Circuit Court is for felony cases or appeals that have been sent up from District court.

What are the filing fees to record a document?

Filing fees are set by State Law; please see Filing Fees on the Circuit Clerk’s web page.

Is there an extra fee for documents that do not meet requirements?

According to state law, documents failing to meet requirements may be denied.  The Clerk's Office returns the document with an explanation attached. If the recorder waives the requirements of §14-15-402-(b) (1) for good cause, an additional fee of $25.00 will be required.

How do I file a materialman’s lien?

Please note the Office of the Circuit Clerk is prohibited by law from giving legal advice does not provide materialman’s lien forms nor instruct on document preparation.

To record the materialman’s lien, bring the following to the Recorder's Office (215 East Central Avenue, room 202):

  • The prepared and notarized document
  • Proof the person upon whom you are placing the lien has been notified (i.e., certified mail receipt)
  • Recording fee of $15.00 for the first page and $5.00 for each additional page

What are the office hours for recording? Is the office open during lunch?

The office is open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and does not close for lunch. However, for operational efficiency recording ends at 4:00 p.m.; remaining records will be processed on the following business day.

Who should I inform about late payments?

For late or delinquent payments, contact Judicial Collections at 479-271-1081.

I would like to modify the terms of my sentence. Who do I contact to request lower payments in exchange for community service/time served?

Only a court order signed by the judge can modify terms. The Office of the Circuit Clerk is prohibited by law from giving legal advice.

What forms of payment does the Circuit Clerk's Office accept?

The Chicot County Circuit Clerk's office (including the Juvenile Division) only accepts cash and cash equivalents at this time:

  • Cash is accepted in exact change only.
  • Checks are accepted.  Please make checks payable to Benton County Circuit Clerk or BCCC.
  • Money order
  • Cashier's check
  • Credit card
  • Debit card

How do I start child support ordered by the court?

A party to the case should contact the office to set it up. Forms are available in advance if needed.

I receive child support from the Clearinghouse in Little Rock. Can your office help?

No, the Circuit Clerk's office is unable to assist. Additional information on assistance is available through the Child Support Clearinghouse and the local Child Support Enforcement Office.

I have recently moved and need to inform the Child Support Office. Can I do so over the telephone?

No, all address changes must be in person or in writing and faxed to the Child Support Office. We are unable to do this by phone for security reasons.

Can I access and view my child's Juvenile Division file?

No, access to Juvenile Division files is strictly confidential. Only the attorney for record and authorized staff can look at the file, unless otherwise ordered by the judge.

Where can I find the required cover sheets for new case filings under the Civil, Domestic Relations or Juvenile divisions of Arkansas Circuit Court?

Download the required Arkansas Circuit Court Civil, Domestic Relations or Juvenile cover sheets or go to the Arkansas Judiciary web site. See also: child support confidential information sheet.

Who do I contact for State of Arkansas Judgments?

The Circuit Clerks office files the judgments for record, but if you have questions regarding your payment, you need to contact the Department of Finance at or 501-682-5000.

Who do I contact for Federal tax liens?

The Circuit Clerks office files the liens for record, but if you have questions regarding your payment, you need to contact the IRS at or 800-829-1040. Their local office is located at 35 E. Mountain, Fayetteville, AR 72712 479-442-3948.

Does the Circuit Clerks office have blank forms (Deeds, Mortgages, etc)?

We do not provide any legal forms for deed, mortgages, etc. You must contact an attorney, title co., or if you know how to fill out the forms yourself, many office supply stores carry them.